‎"We cannot withhold facts for fear of offending because the importance of the information outweighs people's right to not be challenged in their beliefs."
-Maddie Reid

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hello!



Today I was laughing to myself at how drastically I've changed in my views over the last few years and I realized that it wasn't just a few things. I have done almost a complete turn around from being mainstream to crunchy...and it's still happening! Ha! Then I thought, hmm, what a fun thing to blog about! It would not only give me the opportunity to share with others but also to do further research and reexamine myself and my newly found crunchiness. I also write another blog with 2 other mamas, The Good Letdown about breastfeeding....feel free to check it out! :)


About me: I'm a 26 year old stay at home mom of two girls, Olivia and Ella. Olivia is 2.5 and Ella is 6 months. Both my girls were premature, Olivia was born at 34 weeks and Ella was born at 29 weeks. I had c-sections with both girls, although both I'd intended on having a natural, drug free delivery. Unfortunately that wasn't in the cards for me. I have been married to my husband for 4 years and we just bought a house. I"m not the crunchiest of them all, for sure, but I'm definitely there and especially compared to how I used to be. I know I'm going to have people check out this blog who are like, what the crap are you talking about crunchy? I got this definition of a crunchy mom from Nature Moms Blog:


Mother who supports homebirth, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, gentle discipline, etc. One who questions established medical authority; tends to be vegetarian and/or prepare all-organic foods. See crunchy and hippie.

I admit, I'm not a vegetarian and I don't eat all organic. I would eat all organic if it were affordable and I try to eat feed our family as much as we can organic. The rest though? Yup, that's me...and so much more. The things I'd like to cover in this blog? CIrcumcision (gasp, oh yes, I'm going there), cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, vaccines (uh-huh, I'm going there too), extended rear facing, things I don't do that are considered crunchy (and why I don't do them)...and whatever else strikes my fancy. 

A few years ago I was soooo not the person I am today. When I was pregnant with my first I was so pro vaccines that I thought anyone who didn't do every single vaccine was a stupid, irresponsible idiot. I planned on breastfeeding for 6 months and I didn't even know the term baby wearing. I thought that spanking was the way you handled discipline and you couldn't PAY me to have a home birth. The only things I was slightly crunchy about were circumcision...I just wouldn't do it but I wasn't as passionate about it as I am now, and co-sleeping. I"m almost totally opposition of that now which is kind of weird to experience especially because the people in my life are used to the old me. I've had to literally sit down and tell family the changes we've made and my new believe system (that's a whole blog post within itself!) and I'm finding that I'm constantly learning and changing still. 

I hope to have fun with this, educate and just share. I also hope to examine myself and go back over the changes I've made...and laugh at myself! If no one follows this, oh well, it's still a fun way for me to get it all out! 

3 comments: